Makes 8 servings
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 large celery root
- 1 1/2 onion, large
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. pepper, black ground
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 cup gluten free flour mix.
- Olive oil for frying
- Pre-heat oven to 200˚F. Pell potatoes and celery root. Keep in cold water to prevent browning while you prepare other ingredients
- In a food processor pulse the onions and garlic until they are coarsely chopped. Transfer to bowl.
- Grate celery root and mix with onion garlic mix.
- Grate potatoes. Squeeze a handful at a time of grated potato over a sink, to remove extra liquid.
- Add the “dry” potatoes to the mix.
- Heat sufficient olive oil in a heavy skillet just below smoking point.
- Add remaining ingredients to mixture and stir well.
- Pat a 1/4 cup of batter into a pancake shape and place in oil.
- Fry until golden brown and the sides are getting crispy.
- Cook 2-3 latkes in the pan at a time.
- Flip and brown the other side. Repeat until latkes are done. Let latkes rest on a plate lined with a paper towel to help absorb excess oil.
- Transfer latkes to a cooking rack and place in oven to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve hot with sour cream or applesauce.