- 1 winter squash, medium or 2 small
- 2 Tbsp oil (or butter)
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 stalk of celery, minced
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup walnut, crumbs
- 1/2 tsp sage, rubbed
- 1/2 tsp thyme, rubbed
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, raw and hulled
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 cups short grain brown rice, cooked
- 6-8 dried apricots
1 cup grated cheese or cheese substitute
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F
- Halve squash and scrape out the seeds
- On a baking tray turn squash skin side up and bake until skin is shiny smooth and a fork can just pierce the skin.
- Take out to cool and reduce heat to 350 F.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion in oil or butter until translucent.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, celery, and seasonings and sauté for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Fill squash halves with mixture and bake for 20-30 minutes, until heated through. Serve.